Abdul Hamid (1981-2021) passed away suddenly on February 13, 2021, at the age of 39. He was one of the most prominent specialists of Banten region’s politics and had in-depth knowledge on the themes of clientelism and electoral politics in Indonesia. We will regret him as a great friend and an esteemed colleague.
Hereafter, we reproduce his professional biography, translated from his blog (https://abdulhamid.id/profil-abdul-hamid/):
Abdul Hamid, better known in cyberspace as Abah Hamid, was the Chairperson of the Government Science Lab FISIP Sultan Ageng Tirtayasa University with a functional position as Head Lecturer. Previously, he was Head of Government Science Study Program and Head of Postgraduate Program of Public Administration (MAP) Untirta. Abah completed his Doctoral program at the Graduate School of Global Studies, Contemporary Asian Cluster, Doshisha University Japan in 2015 with the supervision of Professor Eiji Oyamada. During his studies at Doshisha Abah helped Prof. Oyamada as Teaching Assistant. He was born in Pandeglang, Banten April 10, 1981, from parents native of Menes, Pandeglang. He spent secondary and elementary schools in Serang (SMUN 1 Serang) and Pandeglang (SMPN 2 and SDN Saruni 1). He considered having failed in politics because his candidacy for DPD RI members in 2004 wasn’t successful. Apart from being a permanent lecturer at Untirta since 2006, Department of Political Science, FISIP UI, Abah taught from 2005 to 2012. When a student, Abah became the Chairperson of the Fokoma UI offering, Chair of the FISIP UI Islamic Study Forum (FSI), Chair of the FISIP UI Student Senate, administrators at HMI and establishing the Dialectical Study Circle. He was the chairman of RT 08 Rawajati and a member of the Political Law and Government Commission of the Banten Province Regional Research Council (2010-2012 and 2016-2018). In 2011-2013 Abah became Deputy Secretary-General of the Association of State Administrative Scientists (ASIAN). He also became a member of the International Political Science Association. In 2008 and 2010 Abah was a Visiting Researcher at the Center for Southeast Asia Studies (CSEAS) Kyoto University. Since 2010 he has joined the Local Politics in Capital City in Southeast Asia research group by conducting field research in Jakarta (2010) and Bangkok (2011) with researchers from Japan and several Southeast Asian countries. The results of his research have been published in JCSAA GIGA Hamburg. Abah’s profile on Google Scholar can be peeked at here, while his Scopus Id: 56441004700. He helped to the management of several journals: as a Founder and Chief Editor of the Journal of Indonesian Public Administration and Governance Studies (JIPAGS) MAP Untirta (2016-2018) and the Provincial DRD Scientium Journal Banten, Member of the Editor of the Regional Development Journal of the Banten Province Bappeda as well as a reviewer of Political Science Journal (UNNES), Sawala (UNSERA), Transformative (UB) and the Journal of Government (Untirta Government Science). His research interests were in local politics, decentralization and higher education policy. Abah continuedly strived to be a kind lecturer and researcher by making research and publications. Here are some of them:
- Okamoto Masaaki and Abdul Hamid. Jawara in Power, 1999-2007. Indonesia, Volume 86 (October 2008), pp. 109–138.
- Abdul Hamid and Gabriel Facal, « Nationalism, Islam, and Political Influence. The Ethics of the Enterprises in Banten (Indonesia) », Moussons, 21 | 2013, pp. 51-63: https://journals.openedition.org/moussons/2111.
- Hamid, A. ( 2014 ). Jokowi’s Populism in the 2012 Jakarta Gubernatorial Election. Journal Of Current Southeast Asian Affairs, 33(1), pp. 85-109. Online: http://journals.sub.uni-hamburg.de/giga/jsaa/article/view/738
- Hamid, Abdul. “A Family Matter: Political Corruption in Banten, Indonesia.” Asian Politics & Policy6, no. 4 (October 01, 2014), pp. 577–93. doi:10.1111/aspp.12136. Online: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/aspp.12136/abstract
- Abdul Hamid. Politisasi Birokrasi dalam Pilkada Banten 2006, Jurnal Ilmu Administrasi Negara (JIANA) Program Magister Ilmu Administrasi FISIP Universitas Riau Vol. 11 No. 2 Juli 2011, pp. 97-110.
- Abdul Hamid. Populism in Jakarta 2018 Gubernatorial Election, Journal of Governance, Vol. 4 Issue 1, 2019 (pp.1-15)
- Abdul Hamid, Perbandingan Framing Berita Meninggalnya Soeharto di Harian Kompas dan Koran Tempo. Jurnal Riset Komunikasi, Prodi Ilmu Komunikasi Universitas Sultan Ageng Tirtayasa, Vo. 1 No.1 Juni 2010 (pp. 1-14).
- Abdul Hamid, Aplikasi E Government dan Dampaknya: Studi Kasus Kabupaten Sragen. Jurnal Administrasi Publik, Vol. 1 No. 1, Juni 2010. (pp. 1-19).
- Abdul Hamid, Memetakan Aktor Politik Lokal Banten Paska Orde Baru: Studi Kasus Kiai dan jawara di Banten, Jurnal Politika, Jurnal Ilmu Politik Magister Ilmu Politik Program Pascasarjana Universitas Diponegoro, Vol. 1 No. 2 Oktober 2010, pp. 32-45.
- Pergeseran Peran Kiai dalam Politik di Banten Era Orde Baru dan Reformasi, Jurnal Al Qolam, Vol. 28 No. 2 (Mei- Agustus 2011) p. 339-364. Lembaga Penerbit IAIN Sultan Maulana Hasanuddin, Banten Serang.
- Abdul Hamid, Jawara dan Penguasaan Politik Lokal di Banten, dalam Okamoto dan Abdur Rozaki (ed), Kekerasan Politik dan Bos Lokal di Era Reformasi, Yogya. IRE dan Center for Southeast Asian Studies.
- Abdul Hamid. The Kiai in Banten: Shifting Roles in Changing Timesdalam Masaaki, Okamoto, Ota Atsushi and Ahmad Suaedy (eds.), Islam in Contention: Rethinking Islam and State in Indonesia, pp.415-443. (Kyoto: Center for Southeast Asian Studies; Jakarta: Wahid Institute; Taipei: Center for Asia-Pacific Area Studies, 2010).
- Mencari Presiden Untuk Indonesia dalamPemilu 2009: Menitipkan Harapan Pada Kursi Rakyat, Badan Otonom Pers Suara Mahasiswa, Jakarta.
- Anggota Penulis Monograf “Membaca Banten Membaca Indonesia”Terbit September 2010, Serang: Gong Publishing..
- Abdul Hamid. Intelektual, Perubahan Sosial dan Ikan Asin“ dalam Kandung Sapto Nugroho dan Agus Sjafari. Perubahan Sosial, Sebuah Bunga Rampai,2011. Penerbit FISIP Untirta.